Friday, January 13, 2012

la siesta antes de la fiesta

My friends and I at the discoteca "Palace"
Hello friends and fam! As I type this post just after dinner on Friday night, all snuggled up in my bed, all I can think about is how it's already 9pm, and I'm really tired; I guess that's what happens when you go out like the madrileños do. I learned that last night for my first "weekend" night in Spain (I could really get used to this no class on Fridays thing).

One of the churches right next to my apartment, beautiful!
Classes on Wednesday and Thursday were pretty boring, and after dropping my religion class in exchange for another Spanish class in my schedule, all of the Americans at SLU were buzzing with excitement about the night ahead. My friends and I got ready and took the walk to Sol where all the bars/clubs are and were barraged with club promoters and offers for free drinks and discounts to certain pubs and bars. We, of course, only accepted the offers with completely free drinks and entry, and let all the other promoters know that their offer was less than appealing when we could walk a couple more yards (err..meters in Europe) and wait for something better to come along. A couple free drinks at some local bars and then we made our way to a discoteca called Joy Eslava. Muy divertido amigos, muy divertido. There's nothing quite like a discoteca in Spain...they really know how to party! For those of you who know me, I'm always up for an early bedtime--so needless to say when 3:30/4:00 rolled around, I was thrilled to stumble home with my roommates (safely of course, Dad). Let me just tell you, the party was still bumpin'...I guess I need to pick up my euro party swag for tonight and tomorrow...these three day weekends are gonna get the best of me!
Ready for a nice walk through the
biggest park in Madrid!

A friendly peacock just roaming around el Retiro
A fantastic long Thursday night out can only be followed by a wonderful class-free Friday! I took myself for a nice long run around el parque oeste this morning and then went with some friends to el retiro (one of the biggest and most famous parks in Madrid) where we saw some fun statues, beautiful landscaping and a lake, and even some peacocks that just rome around the park. Keep your eye out for some pictures: one of the peacocks was posing for me, how nice of him.  We got some lunch, stopped at the grocery store for a 60 euro cent box of wine (saving money > taste) and headed back to the apartment for a much needed nap.

The man-made lake and pretty monument in the middle of El Retiro, I can't wait until it's a lot warmer out here so we can see the rose garden, all the blooming nature, and go row some boats around the lake on a sunny day!
Can't wait to do it all again tonight!

Love and miss you all,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment