Thursday, January 19, 2012

scurrying around madrid, just stumblin' upon some culture

One of my favorite shots from Saturday's walk: the Palacio Real through the Jardínes de Sabatini
My triple queso crepe. Nom nom nom nom nom.




Back by popular demand! (Well really just my Dad...but still) No need to worry, faithful followers, I've returned to tell ramble on about the past six days or so in Madrid, so I hope you're ready to listen! I believe I last left you on a Friday evening before setting out on the town with my roommates. Last Friday was quite the evening: from free drinks, salsa dancing clubs, pizza, some British vacationers, and a couple red roses, one could say that we definitely painted the town red. Saturday brought some more roommate bonding time for a long stroll around our neighborhood for possibly the greatest meal I've ever had in my life. I had a three cheese crepe, recommended to me by our waiter at a little Crepiere within walking distance of our apartment. (This could get dangerous!)
I don't think I'll ever get tired of looking
at the streets of Madrid

A big fan of flowers..outside..in January
Sunday we went to one of the most well known art museums in Europe and Spain, El Museo Prado. I happen to be a closet art museum lover, so this was right up my alley. We spent a few hours wandering around the museum looking at all the paintings, sculptures, and my favorite, the intricate tile tables and murals. I wish I could have taken pictures, but I wasn't to keen on the idea of going to spend my Sunday afternoon in Spanish jail. So Maggie and I did the next best thing: we bought two prints of some of our favorite paintings for our apartment next year! 6 euro for endless beauty and class? I'm not opposed. Then we grabbed some lunch at vip's (a chain restaurant all over Madrid. My friends are most comfortable there because of the consistent menu--with pictures too). Then we went back to our apartment for another much needed nap.
This place is called the Museo de Jamón.
Any takers? Ain't nobody don't like no bacon.

The past few days have been spent in classes at SLU Madrid. My classes have been going fine, and I'm keeping up with my work...for now. I guess my study habits hit a bit of a hiccup when a few of my friends and I went to a new favorite restaurant of mine right next to campus: The Golden Cock. Now, before you all judge a little too hastily, this fine dining establishment has some of the most affordable and delicious food I have tasted in this city yet. Need I add the extremely friendly waitress who reminds me of a Spanish grandma that keeps shoving free "samples" and "regalos" of food in your face as you look over the menu, so that by the time you're ready to order, you're already full. I must admit, that the samples of tortillas españolas, patatas, jamón serrano, sangria, and a yummy pasta dish I can't remember didn't quite stop me from ordering a spicy potato dish called patatas bravas for my lunch--and quickly finishing all of it. After my lunch today, I forsee many visits in the future to this fine establishment. Our goal this semester: first name basis with the cute little waitress and owner.
Thought you'd enjoy this picture.
Not quite sure what building this is,
but I get to see it everyday on my daily runs!

Now that we're on the topic of food, I'd like to say a few words about my host family and our living situations. I really lucked out in all areas with my housing in Spain! We are in a great location, have a very big, comfortable apartment, great smelling laundry detergent (which is done for us on a weekly basis by Mar, our mujer favorita), a functioning heating system (not everyone here can say that), and good dinner every day.  She's made good dinners everyday! Nom nom nom.

Now that it's the weekend, tonight we're going out to a discoteca called Kapital. Apparently this place is 7 stories tall with themed floors and is completely outrageous. I don't know if I'm quite ready for this...but we will see! Wish me luck.

3 comments:

  1. Just remember, no drinking by rivers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you said you didn't eat? It doesnt sounds like that to me!!
    My Spanish teacher told us about Kapital! YIKESSSSS! it sounds...and crazy. Just please be safe!
    See you in just two short weeks(:

    hugs&kisses from mundelexico!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all looks so beautiful! I cannot wait until we get there to see it for real....

    ReplyDelete