Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Cheers!


This past weekend consisted of a lot of "cheers"-ing...they just love saying that in Switzerland. From the moment I arrived to the Geneva airport with my friends on Thursday night and got on a bus for two hours to Interlaken, I knew it would be an interesting weekend. Our bus was full of a bunch of college students from all over Europe--most of which on our bus were extremely drunk, obnoxious, rude, and really just made me wonder who raised them. Needless to say the bus ride was less than exciting...but don't worry, the trip ended up exceeding all my expectations. 
Friends having fun!
When we arrived to Interlaken, which is a small mountain, touristy town in the middle of the Swiss Alps, all I wanted to do was go to bed as soon as possible (it was about 2 am at this point). We went to bed, and got ready for the weekend ahead of us. In the morning, we ate the free breakfast at the hostel, all the while bustling about our very exciting excursion for the day: skydiving. We booked skydiving earlier that week online from Madrid, solely for the purpose that none of us would be able to back out last minute. Though my bank account and I are currently in a fight after this adventure, I loved every second of it...well almost. 
Pics for mom in Interlaken!
Devin and I by the lake
We hopped in a van with the skydiving instructors and drove 20 minutes to the launch point. It was a beautiful sunny day in Interlaken and once we were suited up, we were ready to go in the planes. I think they must know that people get really antsy, because they had volleyballs and footballs lying around for me to throw around while we waited for half of our friends in the first plane to come down. I think knowing that they landed successfully made me more comfortable. My three roommates and I hopped in the plane with our skydive partners (my partner was Dave, such a gem) and took off. The views from the plane were amazing, and luckily each of our guides had a camera strapped to his hand so that he could worry about taking pictures throughout the jump and I could just take it all in. On a funny note, I remember as we were climbing to the proper altitude Dave leaned in and told me that we were about half of the way to the jumping altitude...and my stomach dropped as I looked down on the Swiss Alps that were already so far away and so small!

I was the last of everyone to jump, but as soon as they opened the door everything happened so fast that I didn't really have time to think about it. Then I did it! I jumped out of the plane at 13, 000 feet and then went for a 45 second - 1 minute free fall. I wish I could explain...but there are really no words to describe it! Dave let go of the parachute, and then we had a great ride down for another 6-8 minutes or so until we landed safely on the ground!! (only after he made a couple jokes about crashing, of course)
Ready...
All of my friends and I loved the experience...and probably the pictures just as much. 

After that we were all full of adrenaline and feeling good, so we went back to the hostel, changed, and went to explore Interlaken. The town was adorable, and we even went to one of the chocolate factories for a chocolate show and sampling; it was great, and so tasty. (I must admit, I really only had truffles and real Swiss dark chocolate for dinner on Friday). Speaking of eating...the five food groups of the weekend consisted of bread, chocolate, cheese, beer, and champagne. Friday night we had some cocktails with my friends and had a bit of an early night.
...set...
On Saturday, we had hoped to take a day trip to Zurich, but because of weather, the trip was cancelled. Instead, a few of my friends and I went on a very long and peaceful hike around the mountain to the lake while the other half of the group went to the snowy winter wonderland by train to another mountain town. (Anybody surprised to see that I picked the snow-free option?)

The chocolate lady was appropriately named Heidi
Saturday night we went out to dinner and then started popping the champagne for our friend Julianne's birthday who came with us on the trip. The club in the hostel was hosting a Captain Morgan themed party, where I coincidentally ran into Dave, my skydiving guide, while he was wearing an eye patch and dressed as a pirate...small town, I guess? The party was fun, and my friend had a great time for her birthday. I even won a t-shirt...woohoo.
....Go!
On Sunday we went to mass at the local church. Though I didn't understand a word in Swiss-German aside from amen, I still thought it was really interesting to experience how another culture goes to church! We boarded the buses again and hopped back on our plane to Madrid. 

It was a very tiring, but fun weekend...and much better than school has been the past few days. I'm just trying to stay ahead of the game for when my family arrives on Friday! I cannot wait to see them and show them around Madrid!! Unfortunately it's supposed to be a little chillier than normal this weekend, but still in the 40's with sunshine...can't complain!

Tomorrow's my birthday, so I'll be sure to update after I go out and celebrate with some friends...though I must admit that I'm not necessarily excited about being 20, I don't think this age is very meaningful..yes I'm not a teenager anymore but what's the point? I'll just look at it as an excuse to have a good time and get a jarra (pitcher) de sangria with some friends for lunch before class! I'll definitely cheers to that!

Love, Rachel

My roommates and I survived!!

No comments:

Post a Comment